Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring Tulips

It's been awhile since I posted a sketch, and even longer since I sketched one of my favorite designer chairs, so here it is!

The Tulip Chair was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1955 for Knoll. It has always had a certain futuristic feel to it, and was used in the original Star Trek series.

Here are some Tulip Chairs in a variety of interiors:


And here's the sketch I did:


It's interesting, a lot of the pictures I found are white Tulip Chairs in almost completely white interiors. What do you think? And do you think the Tulip Chair still looks futuristic?

1 comment:

  1. I have a client who thought the chairs were too modern for her, even though she liked certain midcentury items. I was like, "It's from the '50s, it's not exactly 'new'..."

    But that's what I love about so much design from that period as well as the '20s and '30s--it's still futuristic and modern, even today.

    ReplyDelete